Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Payroll Clerk is responsible for the bi‐weekly payroll and benefits administration for Epic Opportunities.
This is a full time term position beginning August 1, 2019 for 20 months.
The wage range depending on qualifications, education and experience is $16.00-$19.45/hour.
- Payroll; Process and ensure security of bi‐weekly payroll, electronic filing and confirmation. Distribute employee pay stubs. Manage employee accumulators (vacation and sick) including updating accumulation rates. Notify Coordinators when employees are out of vacation or sick time. Ensure accurate deductions from employee pay, including union dues and garnishments where applicable. Issue Wage Change Form to Directors and Coordinators in advance of regular employee wage increases. Process employee salary and wage changes in a timely manner. Ensure accuracy of employee offers of employment, payroll adjustment forms, payroll information forms and other forms. Post bi‐weekly payroll journal entries into accounting software. Work in conjunction with Accounting Manager to review and evaluate payroll function to determine most efficient, effective and accountable methods regarding payroll system. Ensure ROE’s and T4’s are issued in a timely manner. Ensure TD1’s are completed and filed as required. Ensure payroll portion of personnel files are up to date. Ensure the shredding of payroll files as per policy. Answer inquiries and provide financial information to WCB, MPI, EI, etc. according to legislation and Epic Opportunities policy requirements. Respond to verification requests according to policy. Create payroll reports as required for job efficiency and accountability. Create and provide payroll reports for management as
- Benefits Administration; Enrol eligible employees on to the group benefits package and/or RRSP, managing changes in a timely manner. Communicate benefits information to new enrolees. Distribute drug cards and other relevant information about the group insurance plan to employees. In conjunction with the designated Epic Opportunities group benefits broker, follow through with the insurance carrier about any problems with the plan. Assist employees to fill in insurance/benefit claim forms. Be available to answer employee questions. Assure that accurate benefit premiums are deducted from payroll. Provide and maintain a supply of benefit information forms, booklets, etc. Regularly review and verify insurance rates and salary adjustments. Ensure employees are removed from benefits when they no longer meet qualifications.
- Communication; Keep up to date knowledge and a good understanding of Employment Standards Legislation, The Income Tax Act and Regulations, Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, etc to ensure Epic Opportunities meets legislative requirements. Participate in the advancement of professional growth in this field keeping abreast of trends and developments. Maintain membership and participation in the Canadian Payroll Association. Communicate with management about the required payroll information and submission of forms. Prepare employee correspondence, in conjunction with the Accounting Manager, related to payroll issues as required. Ensure team approach by communicating effectively with others to resolve problems for smooth payroll outcomes.
Education & Experience
- Certified Payroll Manager preferred; other CPA certifications will be considered as well.
- Three years of experience in computerized payroll.
- Excellent working knowledge of the following programs; IBEX Inclusion or other computerized payroll programs, QuickBooks, Windows, Microsoft Excel, Word & Outlook.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate a commitment to the mission and purpose of Epic Opportunities.
- Consistent demonstration of professional business etiquette and communication.
- Meticulous attention to detail, ability to see and address anomalies in data.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Accurate word processing and excellent grammar/writing skills.
- Highly organized with excellent file management skills.
- Ability to prioritize work in a busy environment and meet time deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Reliable and responsible.
- Good interpersonal skills with a variety of individuals
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- The successful applicant will be asked to provide a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and both a Child and Adult Abuse Registry check upon hire at their own expense.
If you are interested in a career with Epic Opportunities, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter to:
200-1600 Ness Ave.
Fax (204) 560-2829 or
Applications will be accepted until June 23, 2019.
We thank all applicants in advance; only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.