The Disability Support Worker provides assistance to adults with intellectual disabilities to reach their life goals and build connections to the community. Our employees give people the support to contribute to the community in valuable ways through living independently in their own homes, obtaining employment, building relationships and having equal access to opportunities that many take for granted.
What our employees do daily will vary depending on the personal goals and interests of the person or people they are assisting. Some things you could do in your role of a disability support worker include:
- Assistance to develop lasting friendships with neighbors, peers and others
- Exploring areas of interest that expand community involvement
- Job coach assistance
- Assistance with skill development
- Providing people with information to make their own decisions
- Literacy assistance
- Assisting people through difficult life
- Assistance in maintaining a personal home
- Medication administration
- Providing transportation
You must have a valid drivers license to be considered for these positions. Access to a vehicle an asset.
The successful applicant will be asked to provide a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and both a Child and Adult Abuse Registry check upon hire at their own expense (in light of long processing times for these checks we encourage applicants to apply early – this will reduce wait time to begin employment).
- Experience supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities an asset.
- The ability to read, write and speak English fluently is necessary
- The ability to multitask, problem-solve and take initiative
- Creativity and the ability to be resourceful
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- The ability to maintain integrity in all situations
- Knowledge of the Vulnerable Persons Act is an asset
- Valid Drivers License and the ability to work Monday-Friday 8am-4pm is required.
Successful candidates will be team players who demonstrate a positive attitude and the desire to support people with intellectual disabilities to reach their goals and be participating members of the community.
Competitive comprehensive benefits available.
Please indicate in your cover letter “DAY SERVICES” when applying for this position.
If you are interested in a career with Epic Opportunities we invite you to submit your resume with cover letter to Human Resources – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants in advance; only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.